Sunday, November 29, 2009

food for all

I watched this movie with some friends last week, and after being thoroughly engrossed for 90 minutes, decided this is a must-see not just for me but for every American. Typically, I've been pretty skeptical of "organic", "all-natural" etc labels on food- what's the real difference besides a marketing ploy? But this film really opened my eyes to see some of what goes on behind closed doors of the food industry. Maybe organic isn't just for hippies and elitist snobs. Maybe chemically altering food isn't such a good idea after all. Maybe we don't need 4,000 calories worth of corn for every American, every day.

I want to be an informed consumer and want to actually know a bit about the stuff I'm putting in my body besides the fat and calorie content. I also want to leave the next generation with a sustainable planet. This movie has really got me thinking.... As Americans, we (generally speaking) don't like to buy the cheapest cars, the cheapest clothes, the cheapest make-up, or cheapest entertainment options. We'll shell out top dollar for these disposable items. Yet when it comes to food, feeding the bodies that we want to last for 80 years, we want the absolute lowest dollar amount. Why??? It also seems ironic to me that farmers, farm land, and farming itself is a dying art even though the world's population continues to grow, increasing the amount of food needed worldwide.
I'm of the belief that one person can make a difference. So I recycle. I plant a garden. I try not to waste food. And last week I bought my first half-gallon of organic milk.
And now I'll get off my soapbox for the day.

8 comments:

The Laundry Queen said...

Amen, Holly. ; )

janeannechovy said...

Preach on, sista.

naptime nostalgia said...

I will have to see the movie, it sounds interesting. I have been doing organic milk and meat ever since I've had kids. Just makes me feel better them not getting all those extra hormones and stuff.

Nanette said...

It's totally crazy huh! I just read "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan, and he talks about the benefits of eating "real" food, and how the food industry has had such a huge influence on food science, and what foods we eat now. He also talks about how we're willing to spend billions of dollars on health care, but try to get the cheapest food possible. If you have time, I highly recommend reading it. It's really interesting.

Britters and Parx said...

how funny that you should post this! I JUST had this conversation with my brother who has been eating an organic diet! He says that he can FEEL the difference! I would like to see that movie and look more into it. Where did you get it? And p.s. I want to go to lunch with you!! This may be a hard month. Maybe January??

Megan said...

That looks good! Maybe I should start listening to my mother-in-law more she preaches about this stuff daily. :)

Lorilee said...

organic milk? how did it taste.. i know that stuff is expensive. but i figure i'm used to the grocery prices here in hawaii.. so when i move home i can shop all organic and free range and still be cutting back on the amount we're used to. right?

P.S. said...

I totally need to go get this movie, thanks for the tip.