Saturday, December 26, 2009

blue christmas

Another pregnancy come and gone, and still no desired result. The news Dave and I received on Christmas Eve: "You're not pregnant after all. But you may have an ectopic pregnancy. We don't know. You can't go on your cruise. You need to take a chemo drug to kill all the cells. You can't try to get pregnant again for several months. Merry Christmas."

I feel like I'm in a bad dream. Not only are our hopes of this next pregnancy crushed, but now we have to stay home and have salt poured in our wounds every day. Our Christmas was spent in tears. And now Dave's birthday will not be spent slow dancing on top of a cruise ship in 80 degree weather like we had planned- instead we will be home in the cold.

Winter is my least favorite of the seasons; the cold and the dark take a toll on my mood and emotions. But usually Christmas is the warm highlight of the winter. Not this year. Christmas is supposed to be a time when your heart feels full, with so much joy and love. Yet mine feels shattered and broken. How can others have a "Merry Christmas" when I feel so miserable? How can the rest of the world open gifts with smiles and cheer when I can barely pull myself together? Why are Dave and I the "downers" of our friends and families, with people feeling awkward and uneasy around us? What has happened to the Holly I used to know?

My list of unanswered questions goes on and on. What am I to do in the coming year to change the current course my life is taking? 2009 has felt like the evil step-sister of the previous years of my life. I can only hope and pray that 2010 is more graceful, kind, sweet, and gentle.

17 comments:

Lisa P. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lisa P. said...

Oh Holly I am so sorry:( I wish I had some magic words to give you but knowing you and dave have each other to get through it is comforting. My thoughts are with you today:)

Keri Cannon said...

Holly my thoughts and prayers are with you and Dave at this time.

janeannechovy said...

Holly, I'm so sorry. I hope you get the comfort you need.

Danielle said...

Holly,
I'm so sorry. I love you and Dave so much and I know there is nothing that I can say to bring you comfort at this time. You are loved so much and my thoughts and prayers are with you!

P.S. said...

Like everyone else, I wish I could take your pain away as well.
We would love to help Dave celebrate his birthday and ring in the new year which I hope gives you guys a fresh start to a wonderful 2010.

The Pizza Family said...

I'M SO SORRY TO HEAR THAT!! MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU GUYS!!

The Laundry Queen said...

So, so sorry, Holly. xoxo

Anna said...

Holly, my thoughts and prayers are with you and Dave. I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I love you.

Lauren said...

you already know how i feel. my heart is broken and i wish i could take all the hurt away. we love you guys more than you know. xoxo

Annie said...

Holly, this is the worst news that I could imagine. I am so sorry that you have to go through this again. I want you to know that you and Dave are in our prayers every single day.

Chelsea said...

Oh Holls. My heart is broken. I love you.
XOXO

naptime nostalgia said...

So, so, so, sorry to hear this Holly. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie and Jeff Wood said...

wow Holly you are my hero... I am so sorry. I think of you all of the time and will be keeping you in my prayers. I know the Lord works in mysterious ways :) let me know if you need anything.

Lorilee said...

i love you guys and am so sorry you are having to go through this.

Tracy Peterson said...

I love you Holls. You and Dave and in my thoughts and prayers.