Sunday, September 14, 2008

Utah State Fair


I entered two items into the State Fair this year and was awarded two ribbons! This is the first time I have ever received a "prize" for any of my baked goods, and I'm pretty excited about the $3 I won. Although I didn't bring home the blue ribbon, this gives me room to grow and encouragement for next year's entries. Any suggestions?
Does it get any more home-town, American, and fair-like than this? A good, old-fashioned square dancing competition. Add this to your list of reasons to make the fair a must-see yearly event.

While the goat was taking a strong liking to Dave, I was becoming infatuated with the tiny piglets. They reminded me of Wilbur and Babe, two of my favorite pigs. I just like to think they'll be rewarded for their debut at the fair with something besides a slaughter house, even if it's just a "that'll do, pig."

16 comments:

Lauren and Bridger said...

Looks like a blast. Holly the first place person must have paid a judge off because I love your baked goods.

The Watty's said...

I think we all need to enter next year in a Watkins/Sorenson Bake Off! I am all about ribbons and an extra dollar or two. Go for the BLUE!

Anonymous said...

Holly, can I have your poppyseed bread recipe? That looks amazing.

Sarah said...

Congratulations Holly!! Everything you make deserves a blue ribbon. You are the best baker I know!

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
P.S. said...

Next year orange carrot cookies!!! Or maybe you could just make me a lot of different treats all year long and then I can tell you which ones to enter next, sound like a plan? Mmmmmm, I can't wait!

Endless Days and Northern Nights said...

WOW Holly! I'm so impressed! How exciting! Someday I will watch you on food network!

Callie said...

Wow, Holls, congrats! I wish I could be eating your treats right now!

Melinda said...

Holly- That is so cool you got 2 ribbons on your 2 entries!! I think it's cool just that you entered! We love it when you bring your baked goods to work! :)

Lorilee said...

um... 11 comments?? you're really getting quite a following holly.

congrats on the $3.... and I refuse to believe that someone else took home the blue ribbon. shame on those judges. I demand a re-taste.

you guys look so cute in that bottom photo. love you.

Lorilee said...

i say next year you forget the baking, and get in on some of that square dancing competition.

Megan said...

That's awesome that you entered something in the fair! I remember last year you talked about doing it. I'm bummed Bodie and I didn't go with you guys! Looks like fun.

Brooke Boren said...

what are you going to do with all your prize money? you should probably invest it. I have to say I love the state fair. We went and we went on all the crazy spinning rides until we were all sick!

Anna said...

Congrats on the prizes won, Holly!!! I can't think of anyone more deserving.

ali said...

Holly! I am so proud of you and your award-winning baked goods. Way to go!